... Now for Something Completely Different
From time to time I like to take a break from the normal breakdowns and recap posts to give a stream of thoughts that have crossed my mind over the past day, both on the Blues and around the NHL as well as anything else that might slip in. The Blues have been pretty disappointing thus far, but here are some tidbits that might help you overlook the fact the Blues are not living up to their potential.
- This NHL season is flying by. The Blues have already logged 25 games out of the 82 game schedule. Yes, that's right - we are well past the one quarter mark.
- How did Taco Bell avoid going bankrupt during their taco promotion years ago? Seriously, no limitations on the promotion led to lines that circled the building. The low, low cost of tacos following the Blues scoring five apparently crippled the fast food joint. Hence the reason you no longer see that promotion in St. Louis anymore.
- Just how good can Erik Johnson be? We all expected big things, but to lead the team in scoring with 18 points after coming off such a major injury is above I think even our most optimistic expectations. While a defenseman leading the team in scoring is not exactly a good sign for the offense or for the forwards, Johnson sure has been a bright spot this season.
- Will Lars Eller ever remain healthy enough to showcase his talent?
- The 9th season of Scrubs started last night. The best part? The old/returning characters. The show will struggle if it intends to fully rely on the new characters.
- I'm still in shock over David Perron's ridiculous goal.
- The work week following the shortened week due to the Thanksgiving holiday feels like the longest week in history. How is today only Wednesday? Feeling a lot of similarities to Phil Connors in Groundhog Day.
- Alex Pietrangelo will get playing time. When? Who knows. Let's just not forget this kid is extremely young (19) and should have a bright future ahead of him. I'm just as antsy to get him in the lineup, but there's no need to freak out over a couple weeks of him not seeing any action. Wait for a potential trade to grant him room in the lineup.
- Why is it when a friend asks you to help them move, you immediately say yes to be a good friend...but when that day actually comes you hunt high and low for any excuse to get out of it? Maybe I just have something against lifting furniture repeatedly.
- The Blues never seem to get any favors when it comes to scheduling. If you've noticed, they are always the ones playing catch up. The Blues and Minnesota Wild have each played 25 games while the entire rest of the Western Conference have skated in anywhere between 26 and 29 games. I guess the league likes having the Blues have to play catchup.
- Dish Network (and Mediacom) vs. Fox Sports Midwest still hasn't been resolved. Go figure. Looks like my vote for all 35 games being blacked out is an accurate one.
- 60 degrees one day, low 30s the next. Thanks St. Louis weather for constantly making me second guess my clothing.
- Has anyone been more of a fluke than Jonathan Cheechoo? How on earth do you score 56 goals and a total of 93 points and then sink the next three straight seasons to the current ugly line of four points in 25 games. You just keep waiting for him to breakout again but more and more it seems like that just won't happen.
- By my count, the Blues have sold out nine games at the Scottrade Center this season out of 14 home games. Pretty solid start. One has to imagine this number will slow if the Blues continue to straddle mediocrity.
- With all the modern technology these days, how in the world have we not figured out a better way to clear ice from a car than a snow scraper? I don't have 30 minutes to sit there and wait while the defroster gradually warms from blowing ice cold air on to the said ice before gradually melting it at a crawl. Forget iPhones and the like, invent me something so I don't have to scrape and get ice up the sleeve of my jacket.
Got anything to add? Sound off in the comments.